Sunday, September 9, 2012

First day with 25 Kinders

September 7th 2012, 
         Today was challenging. It was our first day with all of our students together in the classroom. Mrs. Irvin and I discussed a behavioral plan for the day as soon as I arrived. We decided that it would be best as Mrs. Irvin led the class I would monitor and address the misbehavior that was taking place. Then we agreed that we would do this for each other through out the year, and she would monitor when I lead the class in the future. It only took twenty minutes or less into the morning for a student to become my “permanent buddy.” Meaning, that I spent the majority of the day addressing his behavior and spent a lot of time talking to him and explaining to him our expectations in the classroom. He listened and acknowledged what he was doing, but usually turned around and acted out in a different way. 
http://www.amazon.com/Challenging-Behavior-Young-Children-Understanding/dp/0205493335
Find this book on Amazon
        We also struggled with another student today. As I addressed his behavior and talked to him he continued to act out and act in ways that are not school appropriate. This led to Mrs. Irvine and I composing a note together to send home to his parents. This student had me leaving school feeling defeated. All of my strategies that I have learned through my schooling and my experiences in life did not pay off with this particular child. It really broke my heart. But I know that this only means I need to do some research and practice some different approaches with him, if it continues, on Monday. I have the perfect book to start my research with; Challenging Behavior in Young Children by Barbara Kaiser and Judy Sklar Rasminsky. Hopefully after looking through this book again I will find some additional strategies to bring with me on Monday.
         My Highlight of the day today was when I walked into my classroom and saw a beautiful bouquet of red and white carnations sitting next to a card on my desk. I opened it to read, “Congratulations Lauren! You made it through the first week. Hooray for you! And… I am so glad to b e working with you.” The card was signed by Mrs. Irvin. I am so thankful to have such an amazing and inspiring mentor teacher to work with through this experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment