
Today
was a very productive day. When our students arrived one of them came up to me
with an envelope addressed, in their own handwriting, to Miss. Switalski. I opened it to read an apology about
their behavior the day before. After I read the card I called the student over
to thank them for apologizing. The student’s eyes began to water as they wrapped
their arms around me and verbally told me how sorry they were. I was in shock
and amazed. What a great way to start the day. After our morning routine we introduced
math centers to our students and spent forty minutes rotating centers every
twenty minutes (so, only twice today). Right now we started off by introducing
our students to only four different math centers.

I took pictures with our classroom camera so I will make
sure to post them as soon as I can. Mrs. Irvin stayed posted at center # 1 so I
had to rotate between the other three centers. It was hard juggling all of the
students concerns and confusion on my own, but I realized once I had one
students understanding I could encourage them to help their friends at the
table. This helped a ton! I am looking forward to having a parent helper during
center time in the future. Once we get the students use to the idea of centers
we will be encouraging parents to help out in the classroom, leading or
monitoring one of the centers.
My highlight of the day today,
actually this week so far, has been hearing from several of my colleagues about
our student’s progress. We have been working very hard, and spent a lot of our time
these past four weeks reinforcing and continuously teaching rules, behavior,
and expectations. It is awesome to hear that we are making progress and that we
can slowly start to steer more, and the majority, of our attention on the
curriculum. I mean lets face it, “All we ever needed to learn, we learned in
Kindergarten” – unknown. Right?
No comments:
Post a Comment