Today
I was full of energy. I spent, what feels like, the whole weekend recuperating
(napping) from last week! I met Mrs. Irvin in the classroom in the morning and
she greeted me with a gift. I have an amazing mentor – if I haven’t mentioned
that yet! She picked out a very cute pair of earrings and a matching bracelet
from a jewelry show she went to over the weekend. I love them. Anyway, today we
started an awesome new character development program called Bucket Filling. Bucket
filling is an easy-to-understand concept: Everyone carries an invisible
bucket that holds our good thoughts and feelings. When our buckets are full, we
feel happy and when our buckets are empty, we feel sad. I was first
introduced to this development program during my pre-internship, at Mattawan
Later Elementary. After my first week in Kindergarten I mentioned the program
to Mrs. Irvin. Luckily, a few other teachers in our school were implementing
this program into their classrooms as well. So Mrs. Irvin decided to give it a
try. I launched the program in our classroom this morning. I began by reading, Have
You Filled a Bucket Today?: A Guide to Daily Happiness for Kids by Carol McCloud and David Messing in Books. After I read the story, we
brainstormed as a class what it means to be a “bucket filler”. We came up with
a great list! I then told our students every time I see a student acting as a
“bucket filler” I will fill our class bucket with a cotton ball. When our
bucket is full of cotton balls the students will earn a popcorn party, special
treat, extra recess, etc. Children
quickly understand that they can fill buckets when they do and say things that
are kind, considerate, caring, and respectful. During this school year we will
be encouraging, reminding, and recognizing everyone’s efforts to be bucket
fillers at home, at school, and everywhere they go. If you would like to learn
more about bucket filling, visit the Bucket Fillers website, www.bucketfillers101.com.
| My note from one of our students! |
My highlight of the day
today was when one of our students asked me if they could go to their backpacks
to get something. I of course let her, and she came running back into the
classroom with a note that she wrote me over the weekend. The note had a number
of words that she had spent time practicing spelling over the weekend. It was
sealed with a kiss in an envelope addressed to her home address. I loved it! It
was exactly what I needed and put a big smile on my face for the whole day.
No comments:
Post a Comment