Wednesday, September 12, 2012

September 12th 2012

         Today was a short and fun filled day! We had a meeting with our university coordinators and another set of student teachers that are teaching at Cleveland Elementary in Livonia. The meeting started at 1pm, so I only had a half-day with our kiddos in the classroom. 
         After the morning routine and calendar time, Mrs. Irvin read Chicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin Jr., John Archambault, and Lois Ehlert to the class. Next to her she had a felt coconut tree magnetized to the white board. After she read the story to the class she passed out magnetic letters to the students. Then she started with A and called the students to come up to the board to place their letters on the alphabet tree. 
         My highlight of the day today was taking over the Chicka Chicka Boom Boom activity. During the activity, unfortunately, one of our students got sick, so Mrs. Irvin had to step out of the lesson. This allowed me to step in and finish teaching the lesson. The students were distracted with what was going on around them, but I was able to pull them together and continue the lesson. It went really well and I really enjoyed getting up in front of the class. I usually leave feeling like the drill sergeant in the room, continuously correcting misbehavior. But today I felt like the teacher. It was incredible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment