Tuesday, September 11, 2012

September 11th 2012


         Today we started our day off with a moment of silence in memory of September 11th 2001. It is crazy to think that our students were not even born when we experienced the tragedies that woke our country on September 11th 2001. I never thought I would hear silence in our twenty-five kindergartner filled classroom. But during this moment of silence the class stood still.
         I learned a lot today by watching Mrs. Irvin provide feedback to our students. She and I are constantly monitoring our students as they work. But one thing that has been working for us is rewarding positive behavior. When I verbally acknowledge a student who is staying on task and following directions other students follow that students behavior so they can be praised as well. All of our students are off to such a great start this year. I am so excited to watch their growth and development over the next few months. I can already see some changes in the last few days!
         My highlight of the day today was watching the students draw their self-portraits. They all have such incredible imaginations and our very creative. The self-portraits will be taped to their chairs on Thursday for our curriculum night (parents only). This way each parent will have an image of their child at their desk during the school day. Such a cute idea! 

No comments:

Post a Comment